The breeding stock really should be selected after they reach four to five months old. The breeder must be selected on the largest litter. In males, it is extremely essential to start to see the presence of two testicles inside the scrotum as testicles descend down through the body cavity at 12 weeks of aging.
1. Extensive kind of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5-6 weeks and re-breeding just after weaning. Does are thus mated once every 2.5 months. This is the suitable for tropical countries like India.
2. Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 weeks of aging. Breeding is practised after 10-20 days after kindling.
3. Intensive reproduction
Weaning are at 4 weeks of aging. Mating is completed immediately after kindling. Usually this practise is followed in western countries.
Always females must be put to the pen of male to stop fighting. Mating needs to be done during coolest portion of the day like morning hours or late evening. After successful mating a man usually makes a typical cry sound and falls documented on one side on the female. Soon after the mating your one needs to be removed through the cage. The male shouldn’t be more than 3 or 4 days per week and not over 2 to 3 times each day. The ratio of male to female is 1:10. Both the sexes should reach 70% of the adult weight.
The breeding season is almost throughout year. But in India, autumn stress is encountered during warm weather.
Signs of heat in females
1. Restlessness, Rubbing the chin for the sides on the cage.
2. Lying in mating posture
3. They are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
4. In heat, the female rabbit accepts male, otherwise it rejects.
5. In heat, the female assumes a standard pose called “lordosis” the place that the back is arched downward and hind quarter is raised.
6. The female one inch di-estrous phage crouch for the corner in the cage.
7. After kindling (parturition), the re breeding happens after a single week in intensive management. But normally re-mating is shown 1 week before weaning.
8. When temperature rises above 36 degree centigrade, temporary sterility happens.
The Digestible energy (MJ/Kg), Fat%, Crude protein%, Crude fiber% with the breeding stock is 9.2, 3, 15-16 and 13 respectively. The females really should be examined for virtually every respiratory diseases before mating.